Peter Loso was one of the first settlers to arrive to the St. Joseph area and founded the German negotiation in August, 1854. He said section 9-10 which the Village of Saint Joseph was platted. Many others soon adopted and the Township was organized in 1858 covering 81 square kilometers. Actually called Clinton, St. Joseph purchased its current name in 1870. Many settlers came up for the land, using its fertile soils, and the opportunities America provided.
The settlers built many businesses and homes and finally the Community was contained in 1890. As the township grew, so did the needs of its citizens, and the concerns of the lawmakers. As a part of their agenda in the 1890's, they made a decision to construct a prison, install a consumer well, build and repair real wood sidewalks, and set liquor licenses at $500 each. Fires were also an issue and around 1885 the Hook and Ladder Co. No. 1 was structured, which is currently the St. Joseph Hearth Dept.
By the first 1900's St. Joseph was flourishing with around 600 residents. Farming was beginning to support the households after multiple years of hardship because of the severe winters and the grasshopper plague of 1856. The milking machine became available in 1905 minimizing the time to milk cows so additional time could be allocated to crops and dog care. Soon after, World Warfare 1 required many farmers to leave their homes to deal with.
After the battle ended people were in a position to get their lives back on the right track, at least for a while, before the currency markets crash in 1929. Also, at this time, prohibition was in place so many of the farmers considered making moonshine, which relatively reduced the hardships of the market crash. With the depression effecting everyone in town, the community needed to keep together more than ever. Through a national grant, the Council could hire the jobless to help clean and maintain the Village.
On read more Dec 7, 1941 the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor which officially got into the US into World Conflict website 2. Rationing tokens were given out since many items were an issue. In those days St. Joseph got a populace of around 1050, getting rid of 10 heroic soldiers to the battle. The community continued to be strong and continued to enhance the Town, adding a normal water tower in 1949, along with a new Town well. In 1959, St. Joseph started out fluoridating its normal water supply, and proceeds to do so.